Tuesday, February 21, 2012

In my Backyard

This is a tree that has probably been dead longer than we've lived in the house, or close to it. Someone years ago saw fit to cut it down to a log, and eventually (about a year ago) it gave up the ghost for good. Luckily, another tree was conveniently there to 'catch' it, and there it stays. Even last summer's hurricane didn't move it.

I don't think the live tree is all that healthy, either. There's too much bramble and junk back there. Mike and the kids tore out tons of stuff a few years back, and it's still a mess. If I had my way, I'd have it all cut down and start fresh. Someone who lived here before us actually tried to start a small vineyard, and I'm still pulling out grape vines every spring and summer--with no grapes. This isn't such a great yard for edibles. There are also fig trees without figs. Sad. I hope the original planters had some luck with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment