Thursday, May 7, 2015

Quasimodo Squirrel

There is a little squirrel who comes into my back yard and he is the saddest thing. I call him "Quasimodo" because he has a strangely deformed face. He has a malocclusion and one of his teeth is way too long. I don't think his jaw closes correctly.
Anyway, I saw how he struggles with the in-shell peanuts we throw out, so we got some cheap peanuts out of the shell for him. He runs to me when I come out because he knows I have peanuts for him.

He tilts his head so he can chew. Other than his jaw problems, he seems healthy and survived the winter, so I think he's here for the long-haul.

Speaking of animals, something strange happened last night. I woke up hearing something like a bird in distress. Nicky had his window open so he heard it, too. It was like the sound a bird might make if it was caught and trying to get away from something. I went out into my backyard with a flashlight and also heard something like grunting or growling. I couldn't find anything at all. This morning I looked around the area where the sound seemed to have originated, but there was no evidence of a struggle. I thought I'd see feathers or something. This all happened at one in the morning, when birds aren't even out. So I'm not sure the squealing I heard was from a bird. I have no idea what it could have been, but it sure sounded like an animal attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment