Monday, August 5, 2013

Grandma and Katherine

My sister Susan took this picture of Katherine and her grandma. I think it's sweet.

My dad passed away when Katherine was about 2, in 1987. Susan told me a story about the last time he saw 'Kate.' They lived 45 minutes from us and I'd take a drive out there weekly. Dad was suffering from terminal lung cancer and was on heavy duty meds for pain. But, knowing Katherine was visiting he did not take the meds so he'd be able to enjoy her. I never knew this. Susan says as soon as we left he got out the morphine, which pretty much knocked him out. It was the last time he saw Katherine. I'm not sure where Michael was that day, probably with his other grandparents. Dad loved the boys, but he just adored 'Kate.' She is named for his mother, btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment