Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Bird House Rescue

A few years ago I bought a bird house for a yard decoration. Recently I was surprised to see a tiny bird flying into it! What do you know, I look through the little opening and there is a nest!

So yesterday, I went to check the bird house and I was wondering if the top came off. Sometimes they are made like that. The trouble is the dumb birdhouse is old and rotted and the whole roof collapsed on it! 

Yes, there are baby birds inside. Tiny little things with gray feathers. So I put something over the top temporarily and hurry inside to get Mike. The two of us did our best to repair the six-sided roof with duct tape, then we taped it like crazy to the birdhouse. Meanwhile, the parents are freaking out.



I hope the house holds up until the babies fledge. They were sound asleep when I looked into the nest. I think there were 3 or 4 of them. They are barely an inch or two long. The parents are about 4 inches, maybe less. 

As far as I can tell, they are some kind of wren. But I can't find a picture that looks like them! I've never seen them in my backyard before and they aren't listed among Long Island's birds.

All I know is, I'm going to get some better birdhouses for next year; ones made with weather-proof materials. I've even heard that bird will make houses in big gourds!

TODAY: went out to lunch with Mike, John, Noreen and little John. Stopped at the cemetery first and put crocheted blue and red flowers on my Dad's grave, plus Mike Sr.'s and Marta's.

Came home and sat in the backyard watching to see if the birds are still using the bird house. I think they might be, because they are nearby. I'm just hoping we didn't scare them too much.

One of them was perched on the fence behind my house making chipping noises. The funny thing is that I stood there for a while making kissy noises at it and it didn't fly away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment