Thursday, August 27, 2015

Aunt Mary

My Aunt Mary is my  mother's older sister. She never married and cared for their mother until Grandma Hoffer died at age 96, in 1996. Aunt Mary moved into her own apartment, but after a number of years she wasn't able to stay there.

She moved into an assisted living place a few years ago. It's a very nice place and probably unbelievably expensive. But while there, she fell and broke her pelvis. So she had to be in another area of the place where she was bedridden for quite a long time. She got through that, but when we went to visit her last year we could see she was a bit out of it. Still sharp-witted and smart when she could hear you, but like with my mother, you have to speak clearly and loudly.

So I got an email from my older sister Susan, who is her power of attorney. Sue is going up there to help with paperwork. She says Aunt Mary's kidneys and other organs are shutting down, and she is in comfort care right now. So it's just a matter of time.

I have too many fond memories of my Aunt to go into now, but if I get a chance I will record them in the future. She is a woman worth remembering.


No comments:

Post a Comment