Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Ohio

Mike and I have been in Ohio for almost a week now. We traveled from New York last Wednesday. As always, we left very early--around 2:30 am this year. It's just us two, so there's no negotiating anything with the kids. We were pretty much able to get out the door within half an hour. Of course, the suitcases were packed and loaded the previous night.
We were very lucky traffic-wise and had no trouble along the way. With a stop for breakfast, plus some rest stops, we made it to Columbus in about 11 hours.
Here's a summary of the last few days. Pictures will come later when I have my own computer at home:
Wednesday: Arrival. Ribs for dinner, yum!
Thursday: our annual trip to my mom's favorite restaurant, Der Dutchmann. I always enjoy the Buffet and Salad bar. Mom always gets the Broasted Chicken.
We shopped at the gift shop, then at some Amish grocery stores. One has a little thrift store attached to it, and I found very cute red-and-white check fabric for only $2.50 a yard. We also hit a bigger thrift shop and found some goodies there.
Later, we went to visit my Aunt Mary. She broke her pelvic bone and was a bit 'out of it.' She is in a nursing home as she heals. She is 93, and my mother is 91.
Friday: Fourth of July! We were invited to a little gathering at my mom's friend's house. Cathy Crosby has been very good to my mother ever since she came to Ohio about 23 years ago (Mom, that is). I wasn't too happy about going because I don't like parties, but I enjoyed myself. IT was interesting to talk to a Chinese woman, a doctor, who lived through Mao and other bad things (including only being able to have one child). She had some fascinating stories to tell!
Friday night, there were fireworks a few blocks from Mom's house. Mike walked over there to get a better look, but Mom and I watched from her driveway. Not a perfect view, but some of the fireworks exploded over the tree line so we enjoyed that.
I think we visited Aunt Mary again on Saturday, and she seemed a bit better--much more alert. She and Mom told us fun things about their childhoods. Their grandfather owned a store and every week they got to pick out one piece of candy. I never knew my great-grandfather, Luther Patterson,owned a store!
We had burgers for dinner. Mike had 'introduced' my mom to Bubba Burgers at the reunion last year and she was happy that her store actually carries them.
Sunday, I went shopping while Mike worked out. I've been doing a lot of shopping on this trip. I've also been doing some crocheting and some cross stitch. I actually finished two little stuffed animals I've been working on for a long time. Mom thought they were cute.
Monday, more shopping, this time with Mom. We hit Hobby Lobby, a store I don't have in New York. Probably spent too much there. Oh, I forgot--I had found a really cute Patriotic rooster at Michael's on Sunday. Mom said they'd been trying to find one for Cathy, so I said she could have it. She's been very good to my mother, as I said. But we actually found another one on Monday so Mom bought that for me.
On one of the nights, Mike spotted a baby rabbit in the driveway. I went outside and it was still there. I thought about picking it up if I could catch it, but decided just to lead it out of the garage (it ran inside) and towards the raspberry bracken that surrounds my mother's backyard fence. I miss my  animals! I've been in touch with Nick and he says they're doing fine.
We went to visit Aunt Mary again. I'm happy to say she was awake and alert, and even sitting up in a wheelchair. She says they want her to eat peanuts, so we will be bringing her a can of those. Plus I got her some sliced apples and some "Jif-to-go," because she said she likes apples and peanut butter. She needs to gain weight.
Today was a relaxing day, right down to leftovers for dinner. I helped Mom with some paperwork for a medical procedure she's having Friday. We are staying longer than usual (10 days as opposed to a week) so we can take her to the doctor. We'll be leaving Saturday. I'm having a nice visit but am only truly happy in my own home. I only wish my dog Shadow was still there to greet me.
This is too long so I'm stopping now.

No comments:

Post a Comment